Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In loving memory of silent nights

"Your attention please. Your attention please. The Cincinnati Weather Dept has issued a severe weather warn....."

The weather warning system then goes on to say something about thundershowers, lightning and how staying away from windows and balconies is to be considered necessary if we wish to live to see ourselves graduate, but I practically lost them soon after the fourth beep. If a bunch of painful high-frequency hammerbeeps at 80 decibels wouldn't get your attention at 2 AM, I don't know what else will. And if that weren't bad enough, they played it over, and over, and over again - mercy's now a thing of the past around here. In public interest, they say, and I dare say no more.

It's now raining cats, dogs and fattened pigs here, and not too quietly at that. Wooshing winds, roars, pouring rains, lightning flashes, leaking walls and there goes the rest of my night down the drain, literally.

I chose the nightlife for the peace and calm it offered. Too much to ask, was it? I am switching back to the day now. Go find the town a new bat.

Rejoinder : I take my words back on the public announcement thing. In spite of what might usually be considered deafeningly loud announcements, people around me continue to sleep, blissfully unaware of all the happenings in God's green world outside our abode. As stats pour in, that's 2 of every 3 people in each home around here. Either the PA system is flawed in design, or some people are blessed with good sleep at nights under all circumstances. I envy these souls, and live in the hope that someday I end up being one of them. Pray for me, brother.

1 comment:

Pramod said...

Now, Now! You don't wish for something normal, do you?